Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Lab and par. She is only 8.5 years old. Two weeks ago she…

Customer Question
Lab and par....

Lab and par. She is only 8.5 years old. Two weeks ago she started acting different she then started vomiting every hour for about 10 hours. It was like diarrhea. She stoped eating dog food that day. Took her to our vet that said she probably had liver

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

We dont think so but definitely posible. Have a pond (just had one dead fish in it but other fish ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Peyton

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peyton?

Took her for 2nd opinion and that vet ran blood work and did ultra sound. Said that according to blood work it's not kidney or liver failure. Either bad infection or cancer. Did not see anything on ultrasound.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Part chocolate lab part Austrian shepherd. She has lost about 20 pounds in last 2 weeks. Only drinks water
Eyes clear. Nose cool and moist. Quiet - doesn't seem to be in pain. Won't eat anything. Was on anti bactics for 1st week. Used peanut butter to get her to take
She moves a tiny bit every 30 minutes like she's uncomfortable. Has a rash on stomach that I did not see before. PLEASE tell me we can help her and have our playful and wonderful Peyton back. PLEASE! She's not a pet but a family member
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has anyone checked her pancreatic enzymes yet? (this was not shown on the bloodwork)
2) What medication is she taking now, if any?
3) Is she vomiting? Having any diarrhea?
4) Is she eating anything at all? Even with pills?

1. No
2. Nothing right now
3. Has not vomited in 11 days. Diarrah same - 11 days
4. July 26-29 eating only peanut butter and lunch meat
Now only peanut butter when I open her mouth and place on top of mouth

If your vet offices have reached the end of what they feel they can offer, I would ask for a referral to an internist. I would also ask whoever you see to check her pancreatic enzymes to be sure she does not have pancreatitis. Recheck bloodwork would be wise to see what values, if any, have changed. At very least we'd like to see a resolution of the infection with the course of antibiotics.

I would also recommend trying a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This may improve her appetite enough to eat. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

You may wish to try some watered down dog food to see if she's interest or even pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

I called the vet. Apparently they did a pancreatic test in blood work results I sent to you. They said it was in normal range. They said maybe it's a tumor or cancer

Let me go back and check. I certainly didn't see it the first time around. One moment.

Is there a third page of bloodwork, by chance? I've rechecked and there's not a pancreatic profile on there.

No just the 2 pages. No pancreatic profile????
I called and of course it's a Sunday do dr is going by her memory but I didn't see PLI. Either....

Not that I see. It is usually on the bloodwork as a cPL or similar. If the vet is not at the office, have them check when they are. If this wasn't run, that's the next step I'd take. In years past, we have analyzed the AMYL and LIPA to try to determine if the pancreatic levels were abnormal. That said, this is no longer recommended and a specific test is available for this exact reason: In some cases, dogs will have normal AMYL and LIPA ranges and have pancreatitis. Thus it's important that this test is run when a dog is showing signs we'd expect to see with pancreatitis.

In the meanwhile, I'd try the recommendation above with the Pepcid. It certainly won't hurt to give her something that may help to give her back the desire to eat.

She passed away ����

I am so very sorry to hear of Peyton's passing. My greatest condolences.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse