Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Has been vomiting and can't keep anything down. On and off…

Customer Question
Has been vomiting and...

Has been vomiting and can't keep anything down. On and off for about a week.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Cocker Spaniel close to 2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cocker spaniel eat anything unusual?

Not that I am aware of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cocker spaniel's name?

Sam.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?

Usually a hearty eater.. Has been chewing on his right paw. We think an ant may have bit him in backyard.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can he keep even a sip of water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

His gums are pink, not sticky. His belly doesn't seem to be tender. He drinks water and when he vomits its all clear. Hasn't eaten much in a few days.

Thank you,

Poor Sam!

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Specifically, we’d be concerned about a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa, dietary indiscretion, or a harmful ingestion (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this in mind, as long as he can keep a bit of water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle this. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (otherwise we’d want to rest the stomach for a few hours), you can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down that is usually a red flag for us to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can try giving small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren’t sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). Though any of these signs and that’d be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, Sam's signs do raise a few concerns for us. Therefore, we’d want to start the above to try to settle this for him. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, check for fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister infections present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get him settled and back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian