Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It is my Westie (9 years old) - she is struggling to breathe…

Customer Question
It is my Westie...

It is my Westie (9 years old) - she is struggling to breathe and gasping for air. I am worried about her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Westie?

She has a lump under the left side of her throat which seems to have grown smaller so thought she was getting better but she is now wheezing with rapid breathing and gasping for air.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Westie?

She had a problem with her back leg when she tried to jump up on the chair - took her to the Vets and they prescribed a dot ibrofen for her which nearly killed so had to rush her to hospital for treatment two years ago. Her leg is fine and they did not need to operate on it. I am scared to take her to the vet again.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

If she is struggling to breathe and gasping for air, she needs prompt medical assistance and I would urge you to take her to your local ER. I am concerned that without medical treatment she may pass. Do you need help finding a location that can see her?

Failing this, can you provide a video? I can also attempt to help you online, though I suspect a veterinary visit is going to be the best plan.