Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My terrier, a dachshund cross - possibly border terrier -

Customer Question

My terrier, a dachshund cross - possibly border terrier - was, some months ago, diagnosed with thickening of the bowel wall. Since then, until 2 days ago, he has been his usual self: lively and up to his usual tricks of disappearing and raiding gardens. This week he exhibited distress signals such that I took him to the vet yesterday, Saturday.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your Border terrier?
Customer: Dachshund cross! See above. The vet gave him a very thorough examination and confirmed the previous diagnosis by another vet in the same practice.
JA: Where does your Dachshund seem to hurt?
Customer: He is clearly in pain in his rh side just ahead of his hip. The vet gave him a very painful injection in his right hand side, just ahead of his hip and prescribed a very light diet with 4 buscopan to be taken twice per day. What is the cause? He has been on Arden Grange foods since I adopted him 8 years ago just after his 2nd birthday. Could this be caused by something I have fed him or something he has scavenged. Children leave a lot of litter around including half eaten sweets.
JA: The Expert will know if your Dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the Dachshund's name?
Customer: Brassie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your Dachshund?
Customer: He has joyfully gobbled the occasional - perhaps twice a month - tea. At most, each time, I have sloshed into his bowl enough to fill the 'moat' around the central island and then added at least much of water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has he had any active symptoms up to this point of the thickened bowel? Nausea? Vomiting? Diarrhea?

Has any bloodwork been performed?

Any abdominal x-rays or ultrasound?

Am I correct that he's near 10 years of age?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No active symptoms before the diagnosis a few months ago.
No bloodwork - I think.
A scan was performed, with some other tests, to establish that he has a thickened bowel wall.
Yes, he is 10.

With some additional time would you be able to contact your vet's office and determine what tests were run? That will help me to help you based on the most information.