Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I have a mastiff mix approx. 2 yrs old. Where ever he lays

Customer Question

I have a mastiff mix approx. 2 yrs old. Where ever he lays there is urine spot and sometimes urine dribble. He is drinking plenty of water but I do not notice him urinating that often. Could he be holding his urine because it hurts to pee? Could he have a bladder infection? Just guessing what could be going on with him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Mastiff. What is the Mastiff's name?
Customer: Bruce. He is not lethargic. Just has started leaking urine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bruce?
Customer: He has started showing some unusual temperament...as in grouchiness.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

This unfortunately more common in senior spayed dogs but I have seen an occasional boy dog that has this and often it is related to a urinary tract infection but sometimes it is that he is not aware that he is going, the sphincter that holds urine in is not strong enough.

First, even though he is not showing any signs it would be advised to collect a first morning sample and rule out a urinary tract infection. Some dogs will not show any other signs besides leaking

For more information on urinary incontinence in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/urinary-incontinence-in-dogs

Once a uti is ruled out there is just one medication for boy dogs to treat this problem called Proin which is given once to twice daily. I always take a baseline blood pressure to ensure there is no issue before starting this medication because it can exacerbate hypertension if undiagnosed

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with in trying to control his urination issues

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman