PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She's a 14 lb. Chihuahua/Poodle mix. Her cough comes and

Customer Question

She's a 14 lb. Chihuahua/Poodle mix. Her cough comes and goes. It sounds like a cat with a hair ball. Other than that she's eating great and all other functions are normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Cookie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Chihuahua?
Customer: Spayed female. Her teeth arent great. That's about it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's 10 years old. 14 lb. chihuahua poodle mix with a cough (sounds like a cat hairball cough) comes and goes. All other functions are normal.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I sent a short video of the cough (18 seconds) as a reply to your email. It won't let me attach it here.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It sounds like the kennel cough video but she has no other symptoms. No loss of appetite, mucus, nothing.

It might have gone to customer service. The fastest approach would be to upload to youtube.com and share back the link.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1kLn39Twwg&feature=youtu.be

This sounds more like collapsing trachea to me. Also, how frequently does she scoot like she's doing at the beginning of the video? Is she on any medication at this time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She does that all the time. It's nearly a daily thing for the last 7 or 8 years. No, she isn't on any medication.

It's very common for dogs to do this when they need their anal glands to be expressed. I would recommend taking her in monthly to have this done and see if it doesn't change how often she's scooting.

I would also talk to your vet about some chest x-rays to diagnose the cause of the coughing. Collapsing trachea is seldom cause for major concern but typically orally medications can reduce or eliminate the symptoms entirely. Other conditions like heart disease can also sound similar, so it's important that your vet rule this out to be sure there isn't reason for concern that needs to be addressed promptly. Since this has been a concern for quite some time, kennel cough seems rather unlikely. He cough is also non-productive where kennel cough is often productive.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?