Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog has a bad rash, Sophia, 2 years old, Sophia, Her energy level has drop

Customer Question
She has a bad...

She has a bad rash

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sophia, 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sophia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophia?

Her energy level has drop

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am sorry to hear your dog has this rash.

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms which very likely will include oral antibiotics

-No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a t-shirt on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly to control the itch with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness and rashes in some dogs
- I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian