Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Well he has some sort of rash near his genitals. For about a…

Customer Question
Well he has some...

Well he has some sort of rash near his genitals. For about a month. It's only been spreading and we wash him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Roscoe, is 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rosco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rosco?

He developed some kind of mosquito bite and some type of infection

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

What flea treatment did you use? When did you last apply it?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
his genital area looks swollen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It got worse because he kept licking himself
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think he bit his mosquito bite because there is a lot of discharge

Hello again,

I agree they can be their own worst enemy with skin issues. Now the skin itself looks to have a moist dermatitis but as we have some bloody (possibly slightly pus-like) discharge, I'd be concerned that there is an underlying abscess here. Its too severe for a mosquito bite allergy alone.

Now I have to say that if Rosco was my patient, I'd be wanting him on antibiotics +/- a dog safe anti-inflammatory. So, we may need to think about having him seen once his vet is open. Though for the meantime, we want to start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to help keep infection in check. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an e-collar on your wee one to protect this.

Since there is an allergy concern, also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if we can get him more settled with these, we are happy. Though if this lingers, then we'd want his vet to assess this with a view to starting systemic treatment so we can nip this in the bud for Rosco

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey, we're going to give him to the SPCA tomorrow.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They'll be ever to take better care for him. We already set the appointment

Hello again,

I am sorry to hear that you do have to let him go, but they will be able to help him. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.