Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Vomiting, foaming at the mouth and hiccup, Not that I

Customer Question
Vomiting, foaming at the mouth...
Vomiting, foaming at the mouth and hiccup
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I knownof
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ellie. She is 1 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

About an hour. Her vomit is white and foamy. She won't drink water, but will eat small handfuls of food. Her gums look pink and feel moist. No pain or tenderness when I press on her belly. I took her outside this morning. I was watching her the whole time. I didn't notice her eat anything.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see Ellie hasn't likely eaten anything harmful, though just since its white/foamy, have you seen her coughing at all?

Not really coughing. I mean she would a little after she vomited, but that is it.

That is fine, I just wanted to make sure we didn't have an upper airway infection as some dogs will cough to the point of vomiting. With that aside, our main concerns for Ellie would be that this is a gut base infection (bacterial or viral), pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or secondary to something she ate.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, Ellie's signs do raise a few concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach and with that the hiccups should subside as well. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

She ate a whole bowl of her typically food, but refuses to drink water.

Hi again,

Good, I am glad to see she is eating but a lack of drinking tells us she is still nauseous. So, we'd still want to use an antacid and hopefully if this is now mild, it may be all we need to do for Ellie.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Thank you
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian