Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

About every 3 weeks my dauchaund has episodes of confusion,

Customer Question
About every 3 weeks...

About every 3 weeks my dauchaund has episodes of confusion, lack of interest in playing, food,etc. He sleeps a lot, shakes. After about 24-36 hours he's back to himself. When he's outside he runs into areas of yard as if he's scared.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

George

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about George?

He's 8-9 years old. Has been checked by our vet, but the vet is stumped.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about George. Where any blood tests or X-rays done when your vet checked him for this odd behavior?

Some of these symptoms (lack of interest in playing, not eating, shaking) can be signs of pain. Since we know this breed has a tendency to having back pain, I might see if starting him on pain medication when these symptoms happen again helps at all.

If it does not, then I would consider blood tests and X-rays. Changes in behavior are more often a physical than a behavior problem, so I would look for things like pancreatitis, hormone imbalance, etc. if it is not episodes of back pain.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

How is George doing? I did not hear back from you.

Please let me know if I can answer any other questions, and if my answer is helpful.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian