Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a Tomcat mouse bait, not sure when/ Lacey is four

Customer Question

Hi, my dog ate a Tomcat mouse bait , not sure when/
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lacey is four years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lacey?
Customer: she is 80 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you know how much she got?

Was it likely in the past 2 hours, past 8 hours or longer?

How is she just now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no, just found the bait station destroyed, probably sometime yesterday...she is acting fine now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the bait station was destroyed but not sure how much she ate
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Oh dear,

Now this is a worry for Lacey even if she isn't showing signs. This is because this type of poison doesn't cause signs right away. It works to block blood clotting, so we tend to see signs weeks later and they can bleed from orifices, struggle to breathe and become weak/pale from internal bleeding.

With this in mind, if there is any chance she had this in the past 8 hours, we'd want to consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here. Otherwise, we would want to think about having her seen as soon as possible for Vitamin K1 treatment. This will help block the risk of the poison in the weeks to come. And the sooner we use that the better. Of course if we see any of those signs I noted, we'd need her seen urgently as some will need plasma or whole blood transfusions to get through the poisoning.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**