Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My chihuahua is sneezing a lot and his eyes are watering

Customer Question

My chihuahua is sneezing a lot and his eyes are watering more than normal, what dose of alley medication can I give him? He's up to date on all vaccines including kennel cough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Gizmo and he's 15 months old. He is sneezing not coughing
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gizmo?
Customer: He is on a special urinary diet for strive crystals. He is always full of mischief and energy. He is a bit off his food and a bit sleepier than normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

What color is the eye discharge?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Any breathing changes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
eye discharge is clear just more of it than normal
gums are pink
breathing seems fine just occasionally spraying snot from his nose. in-betweens sneezing.
Sneezing is much worse in the mornings
Symptoms have been just over a week or two
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that you aren't seeing snot/pus from the eyes or nose as those would raise worries of bacterial infection. Instead, an allergy is quite possible but we could also see these signs with viral upper airway (ie Parainfluenza) or with nasal foreign bodies (less likely) as well.

In any case, we can start some supportive care for Gizmo. To start, for his eyes, we can flush this with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. That way we can remove any irritants/allergens but also keep bacterial from building up.

As for antihistamines, we could try one here and most often we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight every 12-24 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness. Of course, check with your vet first if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications.

Finally if he is quite congested with his breathing or his nasal passages are quite irritated leaving him very sneezy, we can also use steam treatment. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear discharge from the airway. You can also use a baby nebulizer as long as he isn't stressed by it being held to his face. Otherwise, I'd also suggest non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Ocean Mist or Little Noses) here since these can just help gently flush irritants from the nasal passage. To do so, just tilt the head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. And as long as he settles, we're happy. Of course if this lingers, then we'd want his vet to check for those other concerns if need be.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**