Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been coughing after drinking water for a while.

Customer Question

My dog has been coughing after drinking water for a while. Vet said it was Ok. Tonight can't get cough out after drinking. Seems very uncomfortable. It is almost like backwards cough and keep feeling lump in kneck with each movement. He just tired to cough again and vomited. He was also liking his paws as he was trying to cough. He doesn't seen overly bothered. But is panting now and his breaths have seems rapid all day. He just went back to drink more water but I moved it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: He has been eating fine and drinking more then usual. He was happy to go in his walk today.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry for all of the typos and grammatical errors - it seemed urgent and I was typing in a hurry on my phone. I thought the responses were immediate (or close to).
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

Contrary to what your vet told you, your dog's coughing and polydipsia (increased thirst) can be life-threatening. Tachypnea (increased respiratory rate) can indicate advanced cardiopulmonary disorders such as congestive heart failure and any number of metabolic diseases. Hopefully, you've already had him attended to as he needed the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?