Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I took my 10 year old dog to get a very short haircut and…

Customer Question
I took my 10...

I took my 10 year old dog to get a very short haircut and bath. When I got him back last Monday, I saw he'd had his toenails clipped which I didn't ask for. Every since I've had him back, he's been scared of his own shadow. He cowers down, shakes, doesn't want to eat unless I hand feed him and won't drink any water unless I coax him by putting my wet fingers in his mouth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

TJ

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about TJ?

He's always been a little sketchy and he will act this if we put a collar on him but he's never acted like this before by just getting a haircut. Now granted, the groomer is the daughter-n-law of my best friend and she does work at a vet's office but I don't know how professional she really is.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 6 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. This is not uncommon when you leave a dog for grooming. Something could have happened where he got unintentionally hurt or had rough treatment. By rough treatment, it could be a groomer's body language that they are frustrated. Sometimes it is just the atmosphere of the grooming salon with other dogs that cause stress.

At this point I would continue to put his food on the floor rather than a bowl and see if that helps him to eat without you holding it. If not , go back to holding it.

It may take a week for the dog to get over it from a psychological stance, however if there is pain involved then you will need to get a hands on exam.

IF the dog was shaved down lower than normal this also can have an effect. If that is the case put a tee shirt on him.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian