Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took my 10 year old dog to get a very short haircut and…

Customer Question
I took my 10...

I took my 10 year old dog to get a very short haircut and bath. When I got him back last Monday, I saw he'd had his toenails clipped which I didn't ask for. Every since I've had him back, he's been scared of his own shadow. He cowers down, shakes, doesn't want to eat unless I hand feed him and won't drink any water unless I coax him by putting my wet fingers in his mouth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

TJ

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about TJ?

He's always been a little sketchy and he will act this if we put a collar on him but he's never acted like this before by just getting a haircut. Now granted, the groomer is the daughter-n-law of my best friend and she does work at a vet's office but I don't know how professional she really is.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 11 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. This is not uncommon when you leave a dog for grooming. Something could have happened where he got unintentionally hurt or had rough treatment. By rough treatment, it could be a groomer's body language that they are frustrated. Sometimes it is just the atmosphere of the grooming salon with other dogs that cause stress.

At this point I would continue to put his food on the floor rather than a bowl and see if that helps him to eat without you holding it. If not , go back to holding it.

It may take a week for the dog to get over it from a psychological stance, however if there is pain involved then you will need to get a hands on exam.

IF the dog was shaved down lower than normal this also can have an effect. If that is the case put a tee shirt on him.