Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Yesterday my Chihuahua choked on a chicken treat. II

Yesterday my Chihuahua choked...
Yesterday my Chihuahua choked on a chicken treat. II massaged her thoat at the time and she seemed to be able to breathe without difficulty however she threw up several times. What she expelled was white and froathy. Now today she is not eating, not going to the bathroom, and when she does drink water it comes right back up! I called my vet earlier today (Saturday) and he says to give it until Monday! I'm scared to death that something more is going on and she may not make it until Monday. She just wants to lay in her bed. I've carried her outside several times but she doesn't even go potty. She doesn't seem to be in pain she is just not herself! She is 9 years old and weighs 4.7 pounds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about My?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
8/6/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How is she doing just now? Still retching, gagging, and vomiting?

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Today she has kept down a small amount of water and small amount of cube steak I fried and cut up for her. She has urinated once today.
Her gums are still moist and not pale. She continues to have an Audible wheezing and just in general is not at all herself.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that she has taken some food and water, as it does sound like she may have quite a bit of throat inflammation and discomfort. With that in mind, we'd want to see if we can ease that for her. To do so, you can use a small dose of a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.25tsp every 8-12 hours). This will help with any nausea but also reduce irritation to the throat itself. Of course, we can also use a few milliliters of plain honey to also soothe her throat and give her a boost to her blood sugar is she is quite lethargic. After either, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Or there are liquid diets (ie Dogsure, Clinicare) that we could also use for her until this reduces or we can get her vet to dispense dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian