Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Ally is a mixed Shepherd, 70 lbs. She's 12 this month. She's

Customer Question
Ally is a mixed Shepherd...
Ally is a mixed Shepherd, 70 lbs. She's 12 this month. She's always been noise phobic but loves to swim outside in the summer. We recently moved after living in a place for 11 yrs. Ally did swim in our local pond shortly after we moved (July 24th) but this week and this evening she refused to go in water to catch a ball. Instead, her back legs shook almost violently. We're concerned. She's super healthy otherwise and mostly enjoys life.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: My hubby just check and doesn't see anything unusual re her feet. But she appears to be afraid of any other people who may be at the pond and looks in their direction and seems to be listening to their sounds.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Shepherd?
Customer: She had bladder issues as a rescue pup ( due to too early spading) but I nursed her back to health within 1 yr. with bladder-strengthening herbs. She did have a smaller dog companion for 10 yrs. She passed 2 yrs ago this month. Ally mourned for at least 6 mos. (refused meals) but has really come around these past 6 mos. Could the shock of the move make her phobias worse?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. This is not uncommon when you move to a new place. A dog can take months to feel comfortable because it takes that long for them to see consistency around them. This is especially true of a shy dog or one of phobias.

Keep in mind also that as the seasons change she may exhibit these behaviors again. Sights , sounds, and smells all change with the seasons. She will need to see consistency in what is going on around her before feeling comfortable.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian