PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog has had surgery to have bladder stones removed. They

Customer Question

My dog has had surgery to have bladder stones removed. They were calcium oxylate and urate stones. My veterinarian is suggested the same old UD that so many have been unhappy with nutrition wise. My dog is a five year old Lhasa Apso. He has many allergies which also complicates the diet question. Do you have any suggestions? I know to increase water consumption as much as possible. My other dogs eat Fromm. This one has been on a special diet for stones, but it is not for these types of stones.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Has?
Customer: The surgery turned out to be complicated as the catheter got stuck. He had four surgeries within a five day period. He underwent a urethrostomy and he no longer urinates through his penis. We tested him for liver shunt and it came back negative. So now I have trying to figure out how best to prevent more stones from being produced.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

If the Hill's diet is not one that you feel comfortable feeding, I would highly recommend speaking with http://www.balanceit.com about a home made recipe that can be given to prevent further stone development and also address allergies he may have, as well. Balance It is run by veterinary nutritionists and they can help formulate a diet with top quality ingredients to ensure that he's receiving the best nutrition and prevention for the conditions he's faced in the past. This is likely going to be the most effective approach given the fact that most commercial companies produce foods which help with struvites but not with both Urate and Calcium oxalate stones.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?