Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 75 pound 12 year old dog just got 3 ramidil and ate

Customer Question

Our 75 pound 12 year old dog just got 3 ramidil and ate them. Do we need to take him to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Duke
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duke?
Customer: Just 12 years old. He also ate 3 days of food at the same time
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Ramidil is an ACE inhibitor and this class of drug is frequently prescribed for dogs. The good thing here is that Duke is a large dog so things may not be so serious, but best play safe. Where a dog swallows any sort of drug not intended for it then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include lethargy and incoordination and nausea due to a reduction in blood pressure.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Duke's condition changes in any way or if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Duke is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ramidil ingestion issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?