Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 12 pond Shih Zu just at one 2" x 3/4" Styrofoam peanut.

Customer Question

My 12 pond Shih Zu just at one 2" x 3/4" Styrofoam peanut. Will he be able to pass it.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: My 12 pound Shih Zu just at one 2" x 3/4" Styrofoam peanut. Will he be able to pass it.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He's acting fine.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No. Just worried he will become bound up.
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Not yet. he just ate it 15 minutes ago
JA: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. If he just ate the one peanut, chances are he will be fine. The stomach acid should corrode this enough to break it down, so it passes through with no problem. If he had eaten a lot of them, then there would be concern for a foreign body obstruction. I would still monitor him for any vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stool or lack of appetite. If he vomits a lot, has diarrhea for more than 48 hours, has bloody stool or is not eating for more than 24 hours, I would have him evaluated by a vet ASAP. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Shih Tzu is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is acting normal. No problem with not being able to defecate. He must have passed the Styrofoam even though I never saw it come out.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 months ago.

Good. Thanks for the update. It is possible that his stomach acid "melted" it enough to not really be noticeable. It wouldn't have come out whole most likely anyway. Let me know if you have other concerns.