Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I ave a 14 year old pug who seems to gave a yeast infection…

I ave a 14...

I ave a 14 year old pug who seems to gave a yeast infection in her paws, ears, vulva etc. Crying and very itchy. She eats Royal Cannin dog and potato from the vet. She also gad pancreatitis so --because I suspect the problem is the pitatoes in her dog food -- I'm wondering what to feed her this weekend till I see the cet. Would non fat or 2per ent cottage cheese be OK for her tendancy toward pancreatitis? Also, the groomer told me to put jock anti itch cream on her vulva (for people). Is there a better product to help with ger itching, which is intense.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the pug bleeding a lot?

She's not bleeding. Just raw skin from scooting.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pug's name?

Grace

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Grace?

Just that she recently had a aevere yeast infection in both ears which required 14 days of antibiotics. It was gone after this treatment, but may have come back again. She only eats the duck and potato dog food.

I just want to make sure Rachel-Mod is going to get back to me.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
am I supposed to send you more information?
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/6/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

This is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....I have expertise in this area....but I cannot do a phone call due to my medical board....would you like to proceed with chat?

we can chat.

Ok, let me read your whole history and then I will respond to you...It might take me about 5-8 minutes or so...

great.

ok, duck is never my first choice...it has too many similarities to chicken and if your dog is prone to pancreatitis then I would put her on Purina HA soy based food. This is great for food allergy and also pancreatitis...only food that is......in addition make sure that her heartworm prevention is non flavored...I like Iverheart max because it is approved for food allergy.....which 99% of Pugs have. Also make sure to never give your pug any treats of any kind or any other foods of any kind. This is absolutely essential with food allergy. Also make sure to get your vet to treat all the infections that your dog has until they are completely cleared up...this is essential. When you switch food also take one week to switch over. Even if your dog did not have food allergy I would not have her on duck and potato...not great for pancreatitis. Also your dog needs to be placed on apoquel which is a great new anti-itch drug that will help knock out all the itch......once your dog is 100% better then your vet can try substituting cytopoint injection for apoquel if it works......Take all this with you to your vet and tell him/her what you want..... I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).
Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

two questions just for tonight. Wiith her history of pancreatitus, just for the weekend, can she eat 2 percent cottage cheese? Also, can I use tea tree oil spray from the pet store to help her itching just for the weekend, or would Tinactin jock itch cream for people which the dog groomer recommended be better?

The safest thing for pancreatitis would be boiled chicken (breast) and white rice.......as far as her itch I would use topical hydrocortisone cream until you can get to your vet.......any other questions?

can I answer any other questions?

is that hydrocortisone cream for people or for dogs -- and what strength?

People....1%

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Thanks.

sure thing!