Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Skin issue dog

Customer Question

Skin issue dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What is going on with your dog's skin?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Skin issue close to tail, and high on back. Starts are dark and flaky, moves to what looks like white head pimple, pictures attached

OKay thanks for the pictures. The last picture was kind of blurry? How long has this been going on for? Is he very itchy ?

Based on where it its located a common issue that can cause this could be fleas. Is he on flea preventative?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is on flea medication, and we have not flea on him. It is not itchy. Have you seen these white pimples before?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not sure what picture was blurry
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has had for a couple of years, we are seeing more now.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We are in a vet plan with Banfield so he gets checked regular
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have him on 20mg of Claritin
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I spray the spots when they are scaly with a hot spot spray or I used Neosporian

Yes those white pimples are called pustules, which can occur in mild skin infection. Since you are not seeing fleas it looks like he may have developed an allergy which is affecting his skin. Since there are pustules he will likely need antibiotics to help treat the skin. The Claritin probably isn't enough to treat the allergies and he may need to be put on something stronger. Recommendations that I have include a product called Apoquel which seems to work in most dogs with allergies

Let me know if you have any further questions