Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

He had done surgery yesterday and very said I can combine

Customer Question

He had done surgery yesterday and very said I can combine acepromazine,metacam and tramadol. I have him the metacam at 1:00 pm and he had the ace at 5:00 am die to a thunderstorm. Judi want to double check that it's OK to give the tramadol.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He had done surgery yesterday and very said I can combine acepromazine,metacam and tramadol. I have him the metacam at 1:00 pm and he had tHe ace at 5:00 am die to a thunderstorm. Just want to check that it's OK to gives tramadol now
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: All surgical sites. One on shoulder, one on opposite hip, one inside mouth. All growth removals.
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hudson. 8 year old puggle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hudson?
Customer: No. Here's been a very healthy boy. The growth inside his mouth and removal of two teeth surprised even the vet who thought that his teeth looked good upon visual inspection a couple weeks ago. I just wanted him to get a dental being he was being put under for the other growth removals. One was sent to biopsy, there other he's site is a lipoma but was also sent out along with mouth growth.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Hudson's medications.

Yes, you could go ahead and give him Tramadol now if he seems to be uncomfortable which is often the case especially when oral procedures are done. As your vet likely told you, this medication can be quite effective for pain in dogs and as a result, I tend to prescribe it quite frequently.

It can be given up to three times a day. And, most dogs tolerate it quite well although excessive sedation, agitation, anxiety, tremor, dizziness or GI effects (inappetence, vomiting, constipation to diarrhea) can be seen.

I hope this helps, Deb