Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have taken on my in laws 12 year old lurcher as they are

Customer Question
no longer with us. She...
We have taken on my in laws 12 year old lurcher as they are no longer with us. She is a loving dog but always whinces as if in pain if you go near her ears. Also sadly she has bitten me and my husband, not badly as in more of a snap however there was no provocation and no reason as to why.
She was a rescue dog at the age of 5 months, has tendencies of having anxiety and is nervous when it rains or loud noises.
Could it be a sign of pining? Or could she have tinitus? And is so how do you prove it. She has been with us for 5 weeks and on the whole her tail is high her ears pricked and enjoying herself.
We have 2 dogs already that she gets on with as she has grown up with them over the years. Our children are age 12 and 10 so understand to stay away from sally when she is resting and not to touch her like they do confidently with my other 2. (13 year old patterdale 5 year old bijon x Westie.
Or could it be that my in laws never really disciplined her and because we do, as in not allowed on sofas, (this is when she growls at you at bedtime only) could it be pining but also an adjustment period? Thank you xx
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you describe the situation which results in growling and biting?
2) Does it appear that she can still hear well?
3) Have her ears been checked by a vet for abnormalities or pain?
4) How does she act toward being disciplined?
5) What type of discipline does she receive?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian