Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 12 pound dog ate up to 30 dark chocolate hershey kisses

Customer Question
with wrappers. She has been...
My 12 pound dog ate up to 30 dark chocolate hershey kisses with wrappers. She has been vomiting copious amounts of chocolate and wrappers for the last hour on her own. She continues to want to drink. What should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cosette and she is 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cosette?
Customer: She is otherwise healthy.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Cosette ingested up to 150 grams (5 ounces) of sold dark chocolate which is an ounce more than will cause theobromine toxicity - vomiting, agitation, and tremors. Decontamination procedures are necessary - incuding emesis and tubing her with activated charcoal solution. She has already vomited enough but she'll need a vet's attention for having the activated charcoal tubed down her. The charcoal adsorbs any theobromine remaining in the gastrointestinal tract and that which is excreted back into the gastrointestinal tract by the liver. Over the counter activated charcoal is available only as capsules and you would need to give 5 mL/lb of body weight of 2 grams of activated charcoal suspended in 10 mL of water. That would be equivalent to 60 mL of a suspension of 12 grams of activated charcoal suspended in 60 mL of water - quite an unwieldy procedure to do at home. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Ok. I will find an emergency vet here now

Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

My dog was given antinausea meds, IV fluids and sedative for increased heart rate. She was admitted for 24 hours. She is doing great today. Just need to keep an eye out for pancreatitis.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Thank you for letting me know she needed emergency care that I could not provide at home.

You're quite welcome.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian