Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs fought with each other last night. I thoroughly

Customer Question
My dogs fought with...

My dogs fought with each other last night. I thoroughly checked them last night and they both have some scrapes and some bites, but are ok. Shadow (half shepherd, half lab) was bitten on the upper part of her right leg. She whimpered last night whenever I tried to look at it or touch it and she was limping last night. She is not limping now, and will let me touch it (gently) and does not whimper. But, I felt and could hear fluid moving around above the bite mark...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your Shepherd bleeding a lot?

No. Bleeding was minimal after the incident last night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the Shepherd's name and age?

Shadow. She's almost 4 years old (approximately)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Does the leg feel warm to the touch at all?

Looks like you are not currently online to respond. I am about to log off but if you come back online to respond I will be happy to respond to you whenever I log back in. Thank you

Not too warm, but it is noticeably swollen. But, I know swelling is par for the course when there is trauma to delicate tissue (in animals and humans).

Sorry I was off line when you responded. It can be common for fluid to build up initially after a bite but I would be concerned if it remains there because eventually it can end up turning into an abscess. If the fluid is still there then I would recommend seeing a veterinarian so she can be placed on antibiotics to prevent an infection from developing