Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

We just noticed a new late lump on the outside of her lip. I

Customer Question

We just noticed a new late lump on the outside of her lip. I can send pics if that would help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: It's a dog
JA: OK. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Missy 2.5 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Missy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Missy?
Customer: Not. Healthwise. We do visit a local dog park and she is very active there in an out of weeds and fox tails chasing critters
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes, you can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok here is a pic
Thx

Thank you. Give me moment to take a look, please...

That's a curious lump. If it came up suddenly it would represent a hypersensitivity reaction to a flying insect of spider. If it had been there for quite some time, it would represent a well-circumscribed tumor. Do you have an idea of how long this has been present?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is the first we have noticed the lamp. She doesn't seem to be particularly bothered by it. I am considering giving her a Benadryl in case it is an allergic reaction. She weighs 27 pounds what dosage would you recommend? Thank you for your help

Thank you for the additional information. Bendaryl (diphenhydramine) can be dosed at 1-2 mg per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours with a maximum of 50 mg given at any one time. If you happen to have prednisone at home, please let me know and I'll see if I can give you a dose for it. It would be more effective than the antihistamine if you're seeing a hypersensitivity reaction.

Hi Liz,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for checking in. The lump is still there it doesn't seem to be bothering her. My plan is to give it a couple more days and if I don't see it resolved I will take her to the vet.

Sounds good. Keep me posted, please...