Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is being treated with amoxicillin for an ear

Customer Question
My dog is being...

My dog is being treated with amoxicillin for an ear infection. She now developed a dry cough and the vet prescribed clindamycin. Do I continue with both, or stop the amoxicillin?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Callie 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Callie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Callie?

She has Cushings disease and a thyroid problem, both for which she's on medications including trilostane and thyrovet.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, both can be used together for Callie. And given that Clindamycin has a narrow spectrum of treatment (some airway infections, dental disease, skin, etc), unless she as on Amoxicillin for one of those infection types I noted it is best to keep her on both at this stage. Of course, do give them with food to offset any GI upset from either antibiotic.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian