Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is being treated with amoxicillin for an ear

Customer Question

My dog is being treated with amoxicillin for an ear infection. She now developed a dry cough and the vet prescribed clindamycin. Do I continue with both, or stop the amoxicillin?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Callie 9
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Callie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Callie?
Customer: She has Cushings disease and a thyroid problem, both for which she's on medications including trilostane and thyrovet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, both can be used together for Callie. And given that Clindamycin has a narrow spectrum of treatment (some airway infections, dental disease, skin, etc), unless she as on Amoxicillin for one of those infection types I noted it is best to keep her on both at this stage. Of course, do give them with food to offset any GI upset from either antibiotic.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**