Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My cavalier just turned 11 months old. She had spotting and

Customer Question

my king charles cavalier just turned 11 months old. She had spotting and active blood discharge for 3 weeks light to heavier than light. She stopped the blood discharge about a week ago and had a little yellow spotting however not significant. Her vulva was extremely swollen during heat actually surpising to me for a 13.5 lb dog. I have had other female dogs but don't remember swelling to this level. The swelling is subsiding but still present and her nipples are still enlarged. We are now at 11 months and this started at 10 months so to date one month How do I know when she is no longer in heat and when the swelling can be expected to reduce back to normal Thanks very much
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Holly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Holly?
Customer: She is healthy and active. Her eating and drinking during heat were defiantly diminished but now back to normal. Her current weight is 13.7 pounds and she eats one cup of grain free premium kibble per day Natures Source.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

This is what you need to know:

Proestrus - the first stage of Holly's heat cycle - averages 9 days in length with a range of up to 19 days. During this time the vulva is enlarged and firm. Vulvar discharge ranges in character from serous (containing serum) to serosanguinous (serum + blood).

Estrus - the second stage of Holly's heat cycle - average 9 days in length with a range of 3 to 21 days. During this time the vulva may bvecome less turgid and discharge may become straw-colored but can range from serous to serosanguinous.

As you can see, there's quite an overlap in these stages and it can be difficult to determine in which stage my patient is in without performing vaginal cytology - microscopic exam of the vaginal cells. Using the numbers above, however, would suggest that she should go into diestrus (the next and quiet stage of her reproductive cycle) within the next 10 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.