Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs breast has enlarged to the size of an small melon,

Customer Question
My dogs breast has...

My dogs breast has enlarged to the size of an small melon

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Breast?

Her name is gypsy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Breast?

Her breast has enlarged and keeps growing The previous owner had her for 14 years

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. It sounds like Gypsy may have a mass in her mammary gland. This is not uncommon in older dogs, especially if she is not spayed. Some tumors will be cystic (pockets or fluid) but can also become infected. Gypsy needs to be seen by a local veterinarian to see if the mass is infected and to discuss whether or not to remove it. Please ask any follow up questions.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian