Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 10yr old Boston terrier that was diagnosed with

Customer Question

I have a 10yr old Boston terrier that was diagnosed with whip worms last week. How long does it take for them to usually start feeling better? She is still not eating. She had lost almost 5 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the boston terrier can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the boston terrier's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 10.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: She's not active at all. She just lays And sleeps
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Generally speaking, they can take a few days to weeks for the secondary GI inflammation caused by the worms to settle down once they've been treated. Though if Molly had a severe infection and has anemia with this, it can take a few weeks for her body to replace the red blood cells lost in the whipworm infection.

Now as long as her gums aren't white (a sign of severe anemia and may mean she needs a blood transfusion), we can try some supportive care. Since GI inflammation can cause nausea which in turn puts them off eating, we can try soothing that with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac))]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider tempting her with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). If she isn't keen, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And if she is quite loose with her stools, Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)) can be used to slow that and coat the gut at the same time. This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Or there are probiotic/kaolin combination pastes like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) that would be another option to coat her gut and settle her stools if loose as we try to help soothe her stomach and get her eating post-worming treatment.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I just worry about her not eating. She had already lost almost 5 lbs. I have been trying to feed her chicken baby food watered down with s syringe. She will eat about 15 Mls at a time before she gets tired of it. Just don't know what else to do.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

You are very welcome and I do share your concern. Though this is why it is important to treat the secondary nausea in these cases. If we can do that, they usually will start to eat. Of course, if they are severely affected, her vet can start injectable treatment and an appetite stimulant to push her to eat for us. But again until the nausea and inflammation in her gut is addressed we will struggle to get her eating.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.