Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He'said having difficulty walking, his back is rounded & he

Customer Question

He'said having difficulty walking, his back is rounded & he cries if he tries to lie on his side
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Boris, he is 8 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Boris
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boris?
Customer: While he sleeps, he shivers & I don'the think he is cold.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thx Dr. Salkin

I'm sorry to hear of this with Boris. Which breed is he, please? Degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") should be an important differential diagnosis particularly if Boris is a miniature breed dog. Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a "hunch" in Boris's back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Boris's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about Boris's spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), Boris would need the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Boris is a Shar Pei.....he is prone to seizures @ intervals of 8 weeks or longer. This has been happening for about 3 years & he is under treatment for this

Thank you for the additional information. His current problem isn't related to his seizure disorder. A myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) is most likely and degenerative disk disease is the most common of the myelopathies. I also need to consider the less common meningoencephalitises and spinal meningitis in such a patient. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I give him any home remedy to help him thru the night until I can get him medical assistance in the morning?

Yes, you’re necessarily constrained to either aspirin dosed at 22 mg per kg of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or paracetamol dosed at 15 mg per kg of body weight thrice daily. Acetaminophen isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin, however. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you doctor, much appreciated

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?