Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Trying to treat a hot spot. Been using witch for a wash then…

Customer Question
trying to treat a hot...
trying to treat a hot spot. Been using witch hazel for a wash then following with 1% hydrocortisone. can,t clip the hair because the dog won't let me..suggestions
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now it is a shame he won't let you clip the area as drying out the skin tends to be best for hot spots. Otherwise, while the treatment you are using is alright, consider cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area as dry as you can and if he will let you would could use a blow dryer on cool. After using both an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put a e collar or tshirt over this (depending where it is located) on your wee one. No bandages since those will lock in moisture,

Just since we can see these triggered by underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people) but if he is a bit then you may be able to clip this to get air to the lesion. And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, we can make a few adjustments here but if it isn't clearing then we'd want the local vet to use antibiotics to treat from the inside out and get it healed even if your lad isn't being helpful here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.