Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 12 yr old male Golden Retriever who has been

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a 12 yr old male Golden Retriever who has been diagnosed via x-rays yesterday with an enlarged spleen. He is having difficulty breathing and is panting a lot. He has lost 4 pounds in the last week but has not eaten much over the last couple of days. The vet gave us the news as well as the option to have surgery that night or take him home and come back on Tuesday for the surgery. We were so in shock we chose to bring him home. Now we're not sure we made the right decision. Can you tell me if he will be in pain now? He's not whining at all, even when we touch his belly. We are so distraught and have been up all night 'watching' him. Do you think there would be a pain med we could give him just in case he is suffering? How long can a dog live with the enlarged spleen without it bursting?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Golden Retriever will be able to digest that. What is the Golden Retriever's name?

Bentley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bentley?

Xray showed that his stomach was very small and she felt the spleen was pushing on it and that's why he hasn't been able to eat or drink very much.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is the spleen just big or is there a tumor or hematoma on it?

Any changes in his lungs on xray?

Did his vet send him home on any treatments?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

There is a hematoma
Lungs were good on the X-ray. He also had a scan of heart and lungs 3 weeks ago and both were good
No home treatment. He is on duramaxx for arthritis in his hips
I would say hugs gums are paler but not white
His breathing rate would be 78

Hello again,

Now I have to say that splenic hematomas aren't painful. Though since he is on Deramaxx that will be reducing any discomfort/inflammation he may have for this as well as his hips. So, that base is already covered here for Bentley. That said, I have to say that hematomas are like ticking time bombs. They are a pocket of blood that will bleed readily if ruptured and there is no way for anyone to predict when that may happen. If he were to move the wrong way, fall, get hit too hard, or it were to get too big and rupture itself, we could see him suddenly collapse. And if his gums are paler then they used to be, I'd be concerned that it may be bleeding a bit already. So, we'd just want to keep him calm over the weekend but surgery would be ideal once his vet can do so since they do fine with out a spleen and removal of a non-cancerous hematoma tends to be curative for them.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Would the weight loss indicate that there is cancer (4 lbs in 1 week). He's a 100 lb golden - big, not fat.
Would you suggest using a towel at his back legs to help lift him? He's having difficulty getting up.

Hello again,

As long as you are only slinging just in front of the back legs and not putting any pressure on the belly that should be fine. Otherwise, weight loss can be seen with a lot of issues but it can be a feature of cancer. As well, hemangiosarcoma would look similar to a hematoma until the mass is removed and sent for testing to differentiate it. So, it too is a concern but removal would still be beneficial to avoid rupture, though if it is a cancerous mass then we'd need his vet checking for spread +/- considering chemo afterwards.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian