Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

If a large dog (german sheperd-rottweiler mix) ate a small…

Customer Question
If a large dog...

If a large dog (german sheperd-rottweiler mix) ate a small piece of rat bait, what to do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Chico. Around 7 I think.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chico?

7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chico?

Approximately 40lb (ballpark).

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did Chico get this?

What is the active ingredient and how much do you think he had?

How is he just now?

A few minutes ago. No box. I will describe the rat bait: solid green rectangular prism.
Will send photo of it, estimate dimensions...
He is currently fine

Hi again,

That is fine but if we don't know which poison it was (some cause seizures and the other causes bleeding) then the size wont' matter and we are safest to be proactive for Chico. So, in any case, induce vomiting now. You can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here and prevent risk of harm for Chico.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian