Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I woke up this morning to what looked like bloody diarrea

Customer Question

Hi there. I woke up this morning to what looked like bloody diarrea across my house. We found it was my pomeeanian. He just did a bit again and looks to be pooping straight blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Pomeranian's name and age?
Customer: Mosby he is about 5 years old
JA: What is the Pomeranian's name?
Customer: Mosby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mosby?
Customer: No. Nothing that stands out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much blood are you seeing (spoonful, cupful, etc)?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Is Mosby up to date on vaccinations?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It appears to be a good amount not a full cup but more than a spoonful.
Gums look pink and moist. He doesnt whine or tense up when i oick him up or preas on him.
It is possible that he got into something i am not aware of just not sure what it would have been. Hes been adventous in the past getting into trash and such or things outside. But nothing i have noticed in past day or so. He is current on shots i believe
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

Good, I am glad you aren't seeing those urgent signs with Mosby.

Now when we see bloody diarrhea in our dogs it does raise a few concerns. Since he is up to date on vaccines, we'd hope to rule out Parvo but would have to be wary of a possible colitis, bacterial infections (ie salmonella, campylobacter, etc), GI parasitism (not just the worms, but the protozoa; ie Coccidia, giardia), or hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Toxins or bones are of course also a worry but hopefully less likely for Mosby.

With this all in mind, we can try supportive care just now. Of course, if we see more blood or Mosby appears very uncomfortable with this, then we may need him seen by the local urgent care vet to be safe. Otherwise, in the meantime, we'd want to make sure he is wormed if he hasn't been in the past month and I'd note that Fenbendazole/Panacur is a good choice as it will treat for worms but also some of our protozoal concerns.

As well, do put him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish. scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (as long as its onion/garlic powder free). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis, notable Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated then his normal food and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less diarrhoea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And those are quite important since we cannot use anti-diarrheals with blood stools as it can worsen the bacterial/viral concerns. Small meals facilitate this as well and if he responds then we’d want to slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week after it has settled.

Now diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a dog (which is what will make them feel poorly), so we need to keep an eye on Mosby's hydration. To check his hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether he has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. ((http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html) If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have him seen by his vet before this becomes an additional issue for him.

If you initiate these treatments and do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours, then I would advise following up with his vet at that stage. They will be able to examine him, test a stool sample and can cover him with broad spectrum antibiotics to help get him settled here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**