Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Second opinion] I have a puppy a american pitbull 10 weeks…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a puppy a american pitbull 10 weeks old im feeding him purina puppy chow tender and crunching and he been having diarrhea for 4 days what can i do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Pitbull's name?

Kilo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Pitbull?

No when i got him on wed aug 2nd i dewormd him with the dog food with a lil wet puppy food for 3 days while he was on the medicine the i stop giving him wet food after the medicine was gone and just dry dog food and he still running

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 6 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Diarrhea can be caused by a large number of things including an unusual treat, irritable bowel syndrome, disease, bacteria or protozoan infection. If your dog is eating and drinking normally, Kaopectate might be able to be used depending on the formulation. Read about this here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1431

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate

Imodium at 1 mg per 15 pounds one or two times a day can be given for diarrhea for SOME breeds. Read dosage information here that states Loperamide is also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds (25 kg) if over 20 pounds (10 kg).

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/loperamide-imodium

Some herding breeds like collies can have an adverse reaction to imodium so avoid using in collies and similar breeds.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/drugs.aspx

Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) will also absorb excess fluid in the bowel with just a spoonful added to the dog’s food. Some experts will recommend a bland diet for a few days of boiled chicken and rice. If the diarrhea continues, have your dog tested for parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. `

Now you already have dewormed Kilo but if his food changed as it has, that might lead to loose stools as well. Depending on where you got him, he might also have a protozoan infection. Read about these here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Now pit bulls frequently have allergies which is why you see so many with pink skin around their muzzles. So you might consider a limited ingredient diet such as venison and potato if he is currently on something like beef and wheat or chicken and rice. You will need to do the food switch over the course of a few days but that may help as well.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner