Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog is very old and he is a 94 lb rottie pit mix. He is

Customer Question

Our dog is very old and he is a 94 lb rottie pit mix. He is having trouble standing and also when he is lying down he shakes and I'm starting to worry. My husband has oxycodone 10/325. Can we give that to him in a small dose to ease his pain at least a little,and if so how would we do that because he's never had to take medication in pill form before except heartworm pills and he didn't do too well taking that.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the pit can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the pit?
Customer: He is a chunky boy but he's usually very healthy so I was wondering if maybe it could be his hips because of his age. He is 13 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

While not ideal given the Acetaminophen in this tablet, the dose is low enough that it is possible to use this (Just to note, too much Acetaminophen could harm the stomach, liver, and kidneys and affect the breathing). Therefore, for the short term you could give half to one tablet every 12-24 hours after food. In regards ***** ***** it, it can be added to a small piece of food or you can crush the tablet, mix it with water and then using a syringe or turkey baster give it directly (you don't even need to open his mouth, just slide the tip of this between the teeth and cheek as far back as you can and give). But once his vet is open, we'd want him assessed as he may need long term dog safe pain relief to keep him mobile.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**