Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has thrown up two days in a row at same time, Boston

Customer Question
He has thrown up...

He has thrown up two days in a row at same time

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Boston terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Boston terrier eat anything unusual?

No just his normal dog food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Boston terrier's name?

Jaybee

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jaybee?

No he seems fine. There's been couple times this past weekish he's also gotten sick

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is he tending to vomit in the morning or is it just after meals?

Is he keeping any food or water down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

He just threw up a second time 10 minutes ago. It's normally in the morning we are still in bed so he hasn't ate anything since his food the night before. It seems to be just dog food coming up. Doesn't seem tender when pushing on belly. Gums look pink don't seem moist or sticky...
He usually eats around 7/8 at night and I've noticed he eats fast also. But our other dog isn't affected by the food

Thank you,

Now I am glad that Jaybee hasn't any of those other signs. Though to see early vomits of this nature, we would be most suspicious that this is being triggered by bile reflux. This is a condition that we commonly seen in dogs that can occur at any age. It arises when the dog's gall bladder jumps the gun, secretes bile often before the dog has even eaten and this abnormally enters the stomach. This causes stomach upset and can trigger vomiting prior to or just after the meal. In a way, its his GI tract getting carried away in its anticipation to eat.

To tackle this condition, often we just need to feed breakfast a bit earlier to beat that reflux. Alternatively, we find that giving a small meal just before bed time (if getting up earlier isn't feasible) can also reduce the risk of this vomiting. Further to that, we can also use antacids before bedtime as these can help as well. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Of course, you will want to check with his vet if he has any ongoing issues or is on any medication you didn't mention. And if he eats quick, you can also give him 25-50% meal, have him take a half hour break, then give the rest to avoid him overfilling his stomach and triggering vomiting that way.

Overall, the pattern of his vomiting does make sinister health issues and infections unlikely here. Instead, with Jaybee's vomiting this sounds most suspicious of mild bile reflux. Therefore, we'd want to use the above steps to make sure his stomach is settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Does it matter that he's waking up from his sleep when he throws up? Do I gotta wake him up earlier? Or is there a cut off time at night he should not eat past?

Hi again,

No it doesn't make a difference its just that the bile irritates the stomach enough to wake him and causing vomiting. So, we need to be feeding him breakfast before that time point or he can have a bit of food last thing before bed (there is no cut off because its that his stomach is empty too long not the other way around).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Even though his throw up is huge piles of his dog food?

Apologies, I did misread what you said before. The bile is still likely our culprit but if he has last night's food in his vomit then I'd suggest using the antacid at bedtime for him to see if we can get this settled.

Best wishes,

Dr.B.

Also that first link you sent says error. Could you send a different one? To compare to the Zantac one

Hi again,

It appears to work fine, but the site doesn't always direct link them. You just need to copy/paste the link into the browser or go HERE.

Dr. B.

That worked thanks . Where would I pick any of this up? Or should his vet see him also? And how long would I give it to him...

Hi again,

Good, and any of these are available at the pharmacy and most large grocery stores. Try it over the weekend and if the vomiting doesnt' settle down by Monday, then a check up would be ideal at that point.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.