Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have an 11 year old miniature dachshund with lethargy,

Customer Question
I have an 11...

I have an 11 year old miniature dachshund with lethargy, rapid breathing ( abdominal) and rapid heart rate. No sign of bloat. Cold nose. Vomiting small amounts of what looks like spit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?

She has had a abdominal torsion before and sugary corrected but she is not act the same this time. Also was diagnosed with heart worms 6 years ago and it was decided it was not a good idea to treat.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Can she keep any food or water down?

Any coughing?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

If you feel her heart rate is >160 beats per minute, can you also take a heart rate for me (same way as breathing rate but counting the beats you can feel when you have your hand on her chest)? Does the beat feel regular or erratic?

Symptoms started about 1am est. I heard her under my bed trying to vomit. Nothing is coming out except for clear spit. She will not eat or drink. Turns away when offered. Coughing with gagging. Very noisy breathing sounds like an air pump. Imagine old bicycle pump or BP cuff. Gums and tongue pale and sticky. No pain, discomfort or bloating in stomach area. No access to anything she could have eaten. Respiration 120 but vary. Very hard to get heart rate due to labored breathing, I can feel it but can't count it.

Oh dear,

No worries if you cannot get the heart rate, but to hear her gums are pale with all of this on top of that 4x elevated breathing rate is a real worry here.

Now while she shouldn't be at risk of torsion if she has had a surgical pexy, we do still have some concern about a compromised gut (possibly from a broken down pexy but possible blockage or trauma causing internal bleeding or compromise to the gut circulation would also fit with these signs). That said, with her heartworm history, I cannot exclude a emboli lodged in a major vessel or her lungs. Of course, if she has severe heartworm disease they can block heart valves and cause all of what we are seeing. And given there has been more of a cough/gag her along with the other signs those heart complications are top suspects here.

In any case, with that gum color telling us that her circulation is compromised and she isn't getting enough oxygen (even with how much quicker she is breathing), this is unfortunately an emergency situation. We need her on oxygen at the very least and would want the local vet to assess her heart and her gut. If we have heart failure or an emboli from the heartworm issues there are medications that can try to manage it even if the parasite isn't treated for. And if we can address that +/- any GI issue afoot we'd hope to get her stable here and avoid her collapsing on you.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian