Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog threw op her dinner and now has thrown up pink foamy…

Customer Question
My dog threw op...

My dog threw op her dinner and now has thrown up pink fo***** *****quid. I'm not sure if I should wait until the morning to take her to the vet ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I'm aware of .

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Willie, she is 5 years old and 4 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Willie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Willie?

Nothing I can think of ... she does this once in a while where she will throw up clear fluid but I have never seen it pink.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What is she bringing up in his vomit?

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

her gums look pink to me, I pressed on her belly but can't tell if it caused any pain she generally doesn't like her belly rubbed unless its first thing in the morning when she's sleeping. vomit looks slimy with pink tint, she already threw up her dinner and then she threw up the clear vomit maybe 4x

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that her gums are normal and in that case we'd not be overly worried about pink tinted vomit. While it is often due to a small bleed in the throat from the force of vomiting or irritation stomach acid causes when brought up; those pink gums tell us that Willie hasn 't severe bleeding or anemia. So, we can breathe a sigh of relief and don't need to rush her in if she hasn't those emergency signs I asked about.

Of course, with her vomiting, we'd have to be wary that she has caught a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, or has pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (hopefully less likely for Willie). With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac))]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here. but this pink tint just suggests that she has throat irritation from the vomit. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above by the time her vet is open; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

thank you for your help.. what if she did eat something harmful, would there be more signs to look out for? we were out and about all over town today viewing different properties and she was with me, so I have no idea what she may have picked up. (I'm just trying to think of all the possibilities !) its 2:30 am so I'm just trying to figure out if this is urgent or if it can wait until 1st thing in the morning.

Apologies, for my delay I was called away to see an emergency with one of my own patients.

If she did eat something harmful, then we'd likely keep see vomiting and possible fresh blood or brown coffee ground like vomits (signs of stomach bleeding). Otherwise, since she hasn't urgent signs now you can use the above and if she settles plan to have her checked once her vet is open. If she doesn't settle, then we can have her seen to be safe.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.