Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My. 2 year old papisu was sitting in my lap and I noticed…

Customer Question
My. 2 year old...

My. 2 year old papisu was sitting in my lap and I noticed she was shaking. I picked her up and rolled her over and she tensed up and when I put her down her back end would fall over. I know all this happened in less than a minute and it took her a couple of minutes to get back to normal. Other than some teeth issues she has ahlways been healthy and she is considerably smaller than her litter mates are. She is less than 4 pounds. Mom and dad are 8 to 10 pounds. Grandpa is 27 pounds and is 15 years old. . He has a history of seizures if that makes a difference as far as genetic history and Grandma is a pappilon 13 years old. Bad joints and her trachea is causing problems. All the other pups have had no medical issues. I was thinking maybe her blood sugar dropped. It was a little past feeding time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Grandpa?

Grandpa is not the problem it is 2 year old Rosie

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that she suffered a complex partial seizure...particularly with her genetic history. These are also called psychomotor seizures. Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Her vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if Rosie should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should she suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. Rosie would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Here’s a quick synopsis of the type of seizures I see:

Partial seizures (previously called petit mal): focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body (e.g., facial twitching, chomping of the mouth); can be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, defecation).

Simple partial seizures don’t alter consciousness. Complex partial seizures cause the same symptoms as simple partial seizures and also alter mentation (mental status) and/or cause behavioral abnormalities.

Generalized seizures (previously called grand mal) cause diffuse motor activity with loss of consciousness.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian