Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We wormed him 3 days ago, as per directed by vet. 4 month

Customer Question

We wormed him 3 days ago, as per directed by vet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 4 month doberman.
JA: OK. There are all sorts of infestations the Doberman can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Doberman's name?
Customer: Vader. Questioning because I gave him another dose tonight by accident.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Vader?
Customer: No. Worried about overdose
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Which wormer are you using?

Was it the same dose this second time?

How long ago did you give the most recent one?

How is Vader just now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's the yellow-liquid wormer...
3mls the first dose last Wednesday, 3mls this recent dose.
He is energetic, but still diarrhea every hour.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have the most recent approximately 30minutes ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

In that case, I suspect it is Panacur/Fenbendazole you have given and this one is thankfully well tolerated. So, if it was the same dose, then that isn't a worry. In fact, for very young pups we sometimes give doses three days running. Therefore, we'd not expect any issue here but could see a bit of appetite loss or mild vomiting if he were sensitive to the medication (less likely if Vader tolerated it before).

Otherwise, if he does have diarrhea, there is some supportive care I'd suggest here. To start, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, the double dose of wormer a few days apart will cause no issue here. So, we can breathe a sigh of relief for Vader. Of course, if that diarrhea is an issue, do try the above but if it lingers (meaning we have to consider bacteria or viruses), then we may want his vet testing a stool sample to make sure we pinpoint the cause and can treat for it.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks so much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.