Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He got into a fight today and is dragging his hind leg and…

Customer Question
He got into a...

He got into a fight today and is dragging his hind leg and is very lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Matias, yorkie, 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Yorkie's name?

Matias

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Matias?

He has a slight heart murmur, beginnings of a collapsed trachea with cough at night and we gave him tramador which made him very sedated, dilated pupils, his temp was a bit high 39.2 degrees celsius

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
he is not drinking or eating and is having trouble moving/ also there were many fireworks throughout the day and he was very nervous and trembling before the fight
my mother is just telling me that she gave him a bit of Ativan to calm him down without telling me about 8 hours before the tramador we gave him for the pain
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he move the leg voluntarily?

If you pinch a back toe, does he react like he can feel it?

If you feel up and down the leg, any swellings, tender spots, bruising, or bony crunching?

Any discomfort when you flex and extend each joint? Any joint swellings or puffiness?

What dose of Tramadol and Ativan were given?

What does he weigh?

He weighs 10 lbs 1mg ativan mediumsize dog Tramadol ver pill, he moves coluntarily bur draga his leg, shakes a lot, has just eaten breakfast

Hello again,

Its good to hear that he is eating again but I have to note that if she gave him 1mg of Ativan this is an overdose and likely is causing lethargy/sedation and weakness. So, no more of that should be given and we'd hope it is now wearing off. Otherwise, for him to be dragging this leg post fight despite Tramadol for pain relief raises worries of nerve damage or a fracture. Therefore, as long as he has some feeling in the leg, keep a close eye on him for the next few hours for improving as the drug wears off but if he continues not to use the leg, we'd want him seen for these concerns. Especially since nerve paralysis from spinal damage can be a severe issue and need urgent care if he has lost feeling in the leg.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thanks- he's better now

That is lovely to hear and you are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,,

Dr. B.

*************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian