Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

I have two Yorkies that ate a half of a corn cob, 2 yrs and

Customer Question

I have two Yorkies that ate a half of a corn cob
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Yorkie will be able to digest that. What is the Yorkie's name and age?
Customer: ***** ***** 2 yrs and kalina 3yrs
JA: What is the Yorkie's name?
Customer: 2of them ones name is ***** ***** and the other is kalina
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about David?
Customer: No the two of them just ate a cob, chewed up into pieces
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I induce vomiting? They just ate it about 20 minutes ago. Need an answer right away please
Expert:  Denise Cudiamat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian.

YES, please induce vomiting for both dogs.

I would recommend giving them both 1 Tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. If they do not vomit within 10min, give another dose of 1Tabletspoon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They weigh about 5 lbs each .should I give a whole tablespoon or a teadpoon

Great question! With our petite Yorkies, 1 teaspoon (5ml) would be appropriate. Repeating once after 10min if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They are napping not vomiting after dose
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Seem ok

Walk them around on a leash, and pause occasionally to rub their bellies, lift them up/tilting forward (like a wheelbarrow) to mix up the peroxide in their stomach and encourage vomiting.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

Oh, they are adorable!

Great idea to put them in the bathtub. Now give them a good belly rub each and if no vomiting, give the second dose.

The concern with corn cobs (especially in pups as small as they are) is obstruction. If the pieces were big enough to swallow, but not big enough to pass through their (pencil sized) intestines, they can get stuck.

Any vomiting yet?

I hope your little ones have both vomited up the pieces of corn cobs by now.

I'm going to be logging off for the evening. I would encourage you to watch them for signs of obstruction over the next 2-3 days - vomiting, decreased appetite, diarrhea, decreased stool formation, lethargy, painful abdomens.

I wish you all the best and I hope they do well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Neither dog has vomited. They ran around very energetically now are lying down quietly. Should I squirt water down their throats. Might the corn cob pieces absorbe water and make it worse We found about 1/4:of a cup of corn cob pieces all sizes so I have no idea how much each one got. The female was chomping on a hard piece bout an inch square when I noticed them

Have you given them each 2 doses of peroxide?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Ok, they are unfortunately in the 10% of dogs who will not vomit after 2 doses of hydrogen peroxide.

At this point, you have a choice to make

1. You can go the aggressive route and take them to the emergency veterinarian for medication to cause them to vomit. To this point, stomach emptying time (into the intestines) is typically 2 hours for most dogs. By my math, they chewed on/ate the corn cobs about 1hr45min ago.

2. Or, you can go the more conservative route, and feed them a bulky meal (bread, rice) to encourage anything foreign to pass, and monitor them for GI signs.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They eat kibble but also get rice with chicken and vegetables. So I will see if they will eat that now.

Hi. It's Dr. Denise. Just checking it on David Park and Kalina. I hope they are both doing well today.

Hi Judi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Denise Cudiamat