Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I think my dog may have eaten a couple raisins while I was

Customer Question

I think my dog may have eaten a couple raisins while I was at work what should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?
Customer: My pup is 2 year old Shepard/boxer mix and he got his hands on a small handful maybe 5 or six raisins about 3 to four hours ago while I was at work
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about May?
Customer: No he is otherwise healthy pup on year round heartworm and anti tick/flea meds fully vaccinated he is an indoor pup who eats well
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Don't give it a second thought. It takes greater than 0.045 ounces per pound of body weight (about 1/2 ounce of raisins per 10 lbs of body weight) to intoxicate a dog and raisin toxicity is idiosyncratic (peculiar) in any event; in other words, most dogs can ingest raisins to their heart's content without harm. 5-6 raisins in a dog of his size is just a snack. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for putting my and my family's mind at ease. We will be more careful in the future with our fur buddy

You're quite welcome. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?