How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 30322
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my dog may have eaten a couple raisins while I was

Customer Question

I think my dog may have eaten a couple raisins while I was at work what should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if May will be able to digest that. How old is May?
Customer: My pup is 2 year old Shepard/boxer mix and he got his hands on a small handful maybe 5 or six raisins about 3 to four hours ago while I was at work
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about May?
Customer: No he is otherwise healthy pup on year round heartworm and anti tick/flea meds fully vaccinated he is an indoor pup who eats well
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Don't give it a second thought. It takes greater than 0.045 ounces per pound of body weight (about 1/2 ounce of raisins per 10 lbs of body weight) to intoxicate a dog and raisin toxicity is idiosyncratic (peculiar) in any event; in other words, most dogs can ingest raisins to their heart's content without harm. 5-6 raisins in a dog of his size is just a snack. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for putting my and my family's mind at ease. We will be more careful in the future with our fur buddy
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're quite welcome. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin