Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

We are having terrible heat wave. The dog is a one-year old

Customer Question

We are having terrible heat wave. The dog is a one-year old pit bull mix female. We cannot use our air conditioner at full capacity due to financial issues. THE SYMPTOMS ARE VERY RAPID PANTING, SLEEPING A LOT UNLESS MY DAUGHTER IS HOME. SHE IS EATING NORMALLY. SHE ALSO TAKES WHATEVER SHE CAN FIND, PILLOWS, SHOES, STUFFED ANIMALS, ETC. SHE HAS A NEW RUBBER BONE AND IS USING IT TO CHEW VIGOROUSLY. THE PANTING IS WHAT WORRIES ME MOST RIGHT NOW. COULD THIS BE DUE TO THE HEAT?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the pit. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?
Customer: SHE HAS NOT HAD HER SHOTS OR BEEN SPAYED. SHE IS A RESCUE AND WE LOVE HER BUT ARE FINANCIALLY STRAPPED.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

How hot is it in your home? What is the temp?

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Have you tried calling the electric company to get some assistance with this?

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

This is DRB and I will try and help you....

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

so.....yes this could be heat related and dogs can very easily have heat stroke which can cause them to become very ill and suffer kidney failure......I would suggest that you put a fan where it can blow on your dog and you can also wet her down and let the fan blow on her...this will help cool her......your electric company should have some type of assistance to offer you....I hope this helps you....please let me know if you need additional help.... Sincerely, DRB

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).
Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

If you need additional help please let me know. I would be glad to answer follow up questions...if you do not have any further questions I would appreciate if you would rate me. I have a chronic illness and this is how I support my family. Thank you, DRB