Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14-yr.old Cairn terrier's heart valves aren't working…

Customer Question
My 14-yr.old Cairn terrier's...

My 14-yr.old Cairn terrier's heart valves aren't working very well. He has a cough & some trouble breathing. His heart is enlarged & pressing on one of his bronchial tubes. He is on salix, enalapril, vetmedin, temaril-P, & torbutrol. He has been coughing more & having a harder time breathing. Breathing hard & panting. The torbutrol seems to get him more excited that sedated. Is there anything else I should add or take away to help him settle down at night & sleep.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Cairn Terrier. What is the Cairn Terrier's name and age?

Sandy 14 1/2 yrs. old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Cairn Terrier's name?

Sandy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sandy?

No, not really. But he isn't lethargic at night. I gave him some more torbutrol & it seems to get him excited instead of lethargic.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/5/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with Sandy.....first if Sandy's congestive heart failure is controlled then as far as the coughing goes best thing for that is hydrocodone syrup.....it works better than almost anything...but your vet will have to order from a compounding pharmacy......but make sure your dog has no fluid in the lungs when you start this and Sandy should get monthly chest rads along with you counting his sleeping respiratory rate at home at night.....

if you have some melatonin you can try giving him some of that tonight to help him sleep....you can give 3 mg of melatonin for rest....but call your vet about hydrocodone syrup for cough.....best stuff out there for cough....Hope that helps. DRB

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).
Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian