Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Shes diabetic,dxd 3 mos ago. Still losing weight despite

Customer Question

Shes diabetic,dxd 3 mos ago. Still losing weight despite increase in food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mika,13 years, rat terrier.
JA: What is the Rat Terrier's name?
Customer: Mika
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mika?
Customer: She is also taking PPO.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is her diabetes now stable on her current treatment?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is she eating the increased volume of food given?

What tests have her vets done?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Current dose x 3 weeks, return in 2 months to check sugars. No vomiting but soft stool some days. Eating more chicken, not necessarily more dog food. Vet was keeping her all day to measure sugars. Was pleased with results one week ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning,

Now to see Mika still losing weight despite treatment does raise concerns that she isn't stable with her diabetes, that we may be losing nutrients via the loose stools, or that she is selectively grazing her food (where the chicken is fine but lower in calories/fat then her dog food). As well, there would be also concern that there is more to her signs (ie a liver or pancreatic tumor, IBD, metabolic disease, kidney dysfunction, etc)

Therefore, we do want her vet rechecking her blood sugar to make sure she is on an optimal dose. As well, we may want her vet to do a full blood test if they haven't recently +/- ultrasound to look for those other possible complicating factors. As well, its good you are giving more food, but try her with a more calorie rich option (ie canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, Dogsure or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet). All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and that way we can get more into her per bite to support her weight as we get to the root of her signs. Finally, if she has been a bit loose with her stools, fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker, support digestion and just make sure that we avoid any losses on that angle for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**