Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog is very restless after she took her heart worm

Customer Question

my dog is very restless after she took her heart worm medication...she will not settle...we are worried. she is a 2 year old black lab
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: no...it happened rather suddenly..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she doesn't seem short of breath, she ate both meals today and we gave her heartguard after dinner....about 20-30 min after she started this "pacing"behaviour...
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Has your dog taken heartgard before?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all last year and tis is her 3rd dose this year. I usually give it to her in the morning though
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

did you give it with food?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
actually no...i gave it to her about 2 hours after
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

I always recommend giving this with a meal as I feel it sits on the stomach much easier.....hard to say if pacing behavior is due to this or not.....any vomiting?

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

are you there?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no vomiting....i have another lab and i gave it to him also, he's fine....she has had a dog treat since with no issues
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Is she still pacing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's been about 2 hours now....i have felt all over her abdomen and it doesn't seem to hurt her, she just won't "settle"
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

If there is no vomiting, no diarrhea, and her appetite is good and she is not bloated then I have to say something is making her uncomfortable.....possibly heartgard on empty stomach or something else altogether...

what you are describing sounds like discomfort but without an exam and possibly diagnostics like bloodwork impossible to say what is making her uncomfortable.....I hope that makes sense.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

did you want to watch her or take her to a vet ER?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i think we may watch her for another hour and then take her.....but what you say makes complete sense
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

Can I answer any other questions for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome and let me know if you need additional help. Sincerely, DRB

Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).
Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

If you need additional help please let me now. I would be glad to answer follow up questions...if you do not have any further questions I would appreciate if you would rate me. I have a chronic illness and this is how I support my family. Thank you, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B