Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is 9 lbs and ate a .7 mg thyroxine pill do I need to

Customer Question

My dog is 9 lbs and ate a .7 mg thyroxine pill do I need to worry? What do I need to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested a 0.7mg thyroid pill today.

A usual dog dose for thyroid supplemention in dogs is 0.022mg (22mcg) per kilogram (2.2 pounds per kilogram) of body weight twice daily. (There are 1,000 mcg per mg).

That means a 10 pound dog (4.54 kilogram dog) would normally take 0.09mgs or 90mcgs.

She took roughly 7-8 times a normal dose. But this drug is metabolized out of their body fairly quickly, a one time high dose rarely persists for a long enough period of time to cause real trouble if the pup is otherwise healthy.

Even though she did get something she doesn't need a one time dose won't hurt your pup, if she is otherwise healthy with no history of heart disease, although it may make her a little hyper and elevate her heart rate slightly.
If you are going to see symptoms she should show some within the first 4-6 hours. The medication from a one time dose should clear from her body completely within 12-24 hours.
Honestly this one time dose should not be a problem for your pup, and the effects won't last more than 24 hours or so.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****